I love the mixture of sweet and tart. This is a lovely and easy cake that tastes like summer in a green garden. This recipe is inspired by a Martha Stewart recipe.
For the crumbles
4 tablespoons cold butter
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
For the Cake
1 1/2 cups oil
500 g rhubarb, washed and cut into 2 cm long pieces
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
2 large eggs
1 cup yoghurt or sour cream
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Make the topping: crumble together butter, flour, sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
2. Make the cake: Butter a 25 cm (9-inch) round spring-form and dust evenly with flour.
3. Toss rhubarb with 3/4 cup sugar; let stand until batter is done.
4. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Beat remaining oil and 1 cup sugar. Beat in juice and eggs, 1 at a time, until incorporated. Beat in flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with yoghurt (sour cream), until smooth. Spread evenly into buttered pan. Top with rhubarb and spread crumbles evenly over rhubarb batter.
5. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Let cool for 10 minutes. Run a knife around edge of cake, and remove spring form. Let cool completely.